Pioneering a New Pressing Method
Beckwood LSP™ is a high-end linear servo press line that uses patented gearbox technology to achieve the highest degree of forming flexibility at production-level speeds. With presses ranging from 125 – 500 tons, Beckwood LSP™ offers the highest tonnage capacity of any linear servo press available. While hydraulic and mechanical presses have seen some improvements over the last few decades to increase efficiency and precision, these technologies have remained relatively unchanged—until now. High precision, uptime, reliability, and unmatched forming flexibility are pillars of this world-class press technology.
How Does a Linear Servo Press Work?
A linear servo press works by using a servo motor to drive a linear motion system, such as a ball screw or roller screw, to control the ram motion. During the pressing process, sensors monitor the force, speed, and position of the ram, and adjust the servo motor as needed to maintain desired process parameters. Once the pressing is complete, the servo motor and linear motion system return the ram to its home position. Unlike traditional hydraulic or mechanical presses, which use fixed-speed motors to drive the ram, linear servo presses can adjust speeds quickly throughout the cycle to control the motion of the ram with a high degree of precision and accuracy.
Linear Servo Press Uses
Linear servo presses work optimally for both servo-mechanical press applications and hydraulic press applications. The use of a servo motor and linear motion system allows for greater control over the pressing process, including the ability to adjust the press force, speed, and stroke. This makes linear servo presses ideal for stamping of high-strength steels, complex draw forming, progressive die forming, assembly, and any application that requires high-precision and/or accuracy.
Benefits of a Linear Servo Press
- Flexible Forming: Complex draw work and stamping high-strength alloys require tight process control. With Beckwood LSP™, you can easily program ram position, travel distance, and speeds for maximum productivity. With instant feedback for diagnostics and data acquisition to record and measure torque, force, position, and time, no press offers more precision or better part quality.
- Full Tonnage Throughout the Stroke: Unlike servo-mechanical presses, linear servo presses achieve full tonnage at any point in the stroke, eliminating BDC and TDC. This also means we don’t de-rate tonnages for long draws or long strokes, and tooling can be designed to accommodate any shut height. Never over-buy on tonnage to compensate for BDC again!
- Improved Die Handling: Because the linear servo actuators maintain extreme parallelism during each cycle, tooling lasts longer than with traditional pressing methods. Additionally, tonnage monitoring with overload protection comes standard on every cycle. And eliminating the counterbalance system makes die setup and changeover simple.
- Fewer Components=No Maintenance: The all-electric actuation on a linear servo press means it doesn’t require crankshafts, flywheels, external lubrication systems, or hydraulic power units. This eliminates prolonged downtime, part contamination, and costly repairs. The simplified design results in up to 60% fewer components on your BOM, easy set-up, and fast troubleshooting. Linear servo presses can run millions of cycles before needing any maintenance.
- Energy Efficiency: Hydraulic systems consume a large amount of electricity, even during idle times. Linear servo presses use energy on-demand, yielding energy and cost savings of up to 70% compared to hydraulic presses.
- Low Noise Output: Eliminating the HPU and large crankshaft and only using energy on-demand results in greatly reduced ambient noise levels.
Standard Linear Servo Presses
The Beckwood LSP™ product line features 8 standard models in an array of sizes, speeds, and tonnages. Refer to the chart below for our standard model specifications.